Elizabeth-1798

I’m Elizabeth and I’m 13 years old.

During the morning, I went to work as the shoemaker’s apprentice. By the end of the day, I only got at least 5 pennies in my small bag. I was so poor, I couldn’t have a second pair of clothes. It’s always hard living a life in England. It was hard for everyone! Well, apart from the rich people, but they didn’t help anyone. Then, I saw someone selling clothes.A linen gown cost 10 shillings, a shawl cost 5 shillings and a bonnet cost one shilling. I looked in my bag of coins but all there was were 5 pennies.So, when he wasn’t watching, I snatched a gown, bonnet and shawl and sold it to a nearby lady just down the street. I counted the money.

16 shillings I thought, That’s enough for a week’s worth of full meals.

All a sudden, I heard a low voice, “Hey! Stop! Thief!”yelled the stall keeper.

In a flash, the big, hurly police were chasing after me. First one, then 5, then, at least 30. I couldn’t let them catch me. If they did, I could be hanged! What would my mother say? She would be horrified! Then again, there was news that prisoners would go to this “Australia” country. It wouldn’t be as bad as being hanged, but I would miss home. Either way ,I wasn’t going to get caught. I couldn’t. I was tired. I was enough running. I’ve been doing it for hours. Exhausted, I hid in an alley. No-one ever went there. I sat down, panting. Suddenly, I heard hooves banging the ground. My nerves tensed.

They were coming for me.

I thought quickly, covering myself with soot and dust.

“Gotcha!”A guard grabbed my leg…