Dan 1788

It was a hot day. Just like any other day since I got on the ship as a convict. Just then, I saw Waruwi’s dingo, or, native dog, as we call them following me. Waruwi was a native from Australia. She spoke a different language so we couldn’t understand each other. Larka ran back to the big tree where Waruwi lived. Lieutenant Roberts asked if a native dog was following me. I couldn’t lie to the lieutenant so I simply nodded my head. The lieutenant explained that the government needed a watchdog and wanted me to fetch it. I sighed. The English never considered that the natives owned anything. The Lieutenant sent me and Goodwin, another solider who was also my friend to go look for Larka. Apparently, he didn’t think the natives owned anything either. We split up to look for the native dog. I ran over to where Waruwi lived to warn her that they were coming for Larka. Waruwi thought I was playing a game and wanted to tag on. No matter what I said, Waruwi just kept laughing. Then, I heard footsteps. Footsteps of the soldiers in our camp. I gestured for her to hide, she didn’t understand me, but she hid, anyway. The Lieutenant saw me and ordered me to tie the dog. I didn’t know what to do, so I listened. By the look on her face, Waruwi was furious. I only had enough time to look back at her and walk away. At the camp, Lieutenant Roberts gave me full responsibility for Larka. Suddenly, she started barking.

I looked out in the distance and there Waruwi was, she started throwing rocks at us. She obviously didn’t like us for stealing her dingo. The soldiers were very alert and thought the natives were attacking.