Dan #2

It was just an afternoon on a beach, I was teaching Larka how to fetch. Lieutenant Roberts caught me and asked why the dog wasn’t tied up. I tried to explain that I had to teach Larka how to fetch so she would be useful for the Governor. I was frightened when he said he’d nail my hide to a tree if I refused. I was furious, but obeyed his orders. I sat down next to Goodwin. I tried to reason  with him that the Lieutenant was disobeying the governor.

“The law is that you can’t take anything from the natives without paying our own compensation,”I said.

He didn’t believe me. So I stole some things from Goodwin’s pocket. It wasn’t enough in trade for a dog. I then went to see the cook. The cook asked me why I was here. I told the cook the Lieutenant needed drippings for his boots.. It was the first thing that came  to my mind. The cook was very surprised. When he looked away, I grabbed something else Waruwi might like. I quickly tied up my bag of goods and threw it out the back of the tent for Warawi. The cook sighed, but all he gave me was the Lieutenant’s rations.

“Give that to Lieutenant Roberts,”.

Afterwards, I carried the rations to the Lieutenant. He told me to put it in the bag. The Lieutenant gave me his telescope and ordered the soldiers to march to the point. I looked at the telescope. That might be something for Waruwi too. But there was no time for daydreaming. Lieutenant Roberts called me to bang the drums for the march. I stuffed the telescope in my pocket and banged the drums for the march. Then, I watched the soldiers as they marched off.

By August 27, 2020.  No Comments on Dan #2  Historical Fiction